Weather Alert

When Your Partner’s Debt Eats Up Your Refund Money

It is always wise to pay close attention to your filing status and to know what you owe- to include your partner’s debt as well!!

If you find yourself in a position where you filed ‘married filing jointly’, but due to their debt your refund money was taken, fret not young grasshopper. All is not lost!

If you filed jointly with your spouse, but your partner was solely responsible for the debt. Request your part of the tax refund by filing IRS Form 8379- Injured Spouse Allocation.

If your tax refund was offset to pay a joint federal tax debt and you believe only your spouse or former spouse should be held responsible for all or part of the balance you can request from liability by filing IRS Form 8857- Request for Innocent Spouse Relief.

KNOW WHAT YOU OWE! Call 1-800-829-1040 to learn of any federal or non-federal debt that could potentially offset your tax refund?

Connect With Us Listen To Us On